Monday, January 23, 2012

The Fantastic Enchanted Island


Saturday last (Jan. 21), I went to the HD broadcast of the Met production of The Enchanted Island. What a fantastic afternoon of Baroque Pastiche and Shakespearean mash-up, especially for us who are enamored of Baroque music and singing. (Several critics panned it, but what do critics know.) I especially enjoyed the beautiful Joyce DiDonato as Sycorax, and the lovely Danielle de Niese as Ariel. I saw DiDonato in last season's broadcast of Le Comte Ory in a trouser roll. She is becoming my favorite mezzo.

David Daniels (Prospero) and Danielle de Niese (Ariel).

Joyce DiDonato (Sycorax)

Neptune's court.

Neptune (Placido Domingo) singing the "riot act."

Caliban (Luca Pisaroni) and Sycorax.
I do not own these photos and will remove them if someone complains.

I am looking forward with anticipation to the broadcast of Gotterdammerung on February 11.

2012 Goal Report:
My goal to lose 65 pounds by my 65th birthday is underway. I joined myfitnesspal.com at the encouragement of my daughter Rebekah, who has lost 30 pounds and looks gorgeous. I have lost 11 pounds in three weeks. Just 54 pounds to go.

No comments: