Friday, February 14, 2014

Older Than Dirt Quiz

My daughter-in-law's father sent me this "Older Than Dirt Quiz" this morning. He is ten years older than me, but I remember all these items. I thought it was amusing and it starting me thinking about a lot of things we no longer have. I wonder sometimes if all "progress" in all areas of life is really that great. I am putting the list here. I added some details to a couple of the items, but the list is basically the list I was sent.
  
 Count all the items that you actually remember: not the ones you were told about.  The ratings are at the bottom.
  
1. Blackjack chewing gum.
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water. 
3. Candy cigarettes.
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles. Especially the cases full of ice water with the bottles suspended in the water on metal tracks. You maneuvered the bottle of pop you wanted around the track to the "gate," put your coin in the slot, and pulled your bottle through.
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes. 
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers. 
7. Party lines on the telephone.
8. Newsreels, short subjects and a cartoon before the movie: and you could stay and watch the movie more than once.
 
9. P.F. Flyers.
10. Butch wax.
 
11. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and the National Anthem and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (Depending on where you lived, there were only 3 channels). 
12. Peashooters. 
13. Howdy Doody. 
14. 45 RPM records. (Sometimes the B side was more popular than the A side.) 
15. S & H green stamps. 
16. Hi-fi's.
17. Metal ice trays with a lever. 
18. Mimeograph paper.
19. Blue flashbulbs.
20. Packards and Studebakers.
21. Roller skate keys.
22. Cork popguns.
23. Drive-ins.
24. Putting pennys  on railroad tracks to be flattened by trains.
25. Washboards and wash tub wringers.
26. Diners made from old street cars.
27. Street Cars that ran on a track.


If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young 

If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older!

If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age!

If you remembered 16-27 = You're older than dirt!
I remember dealing with all these items save one; I never had Blackjack chewing gum.
  

No comments: