Saturday, January 2, 2016

An Hour with Norman Rockwell

One of my college roommates, Jack Peterson, with whom I have stayed in contact for the last 43 years, is visiting the area with his wife, Suzi. We spent the afternoon together at the Brigham Young University Museum of Art viewing the American Chronicles: The Art of Norman Rockwell exhibit. I have always loved Rockwell's illustrations and paintings. He certainly captured the spirit of an America that no longer exists. I wish I had all those Saturday Evening Post magazines that came to our house in the 50s amd 60s. My favorites were the April Fool's covers where you could find all sorts of strange images worked into the painting.
On the steps of the museum.
Down to the basement for the special exhibit.
Chris, Suzi, and Jack in the lobby.
My mother had several books of Rockwell's collected works. Her favorite painting was of the farm boy and his father sitting on the running board of the farm truck waiting for the train to take the boy to college. It is called "Breaking Home Ties." She loved the emotions written on the faces of the two and the dog.

No comments: