Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year, New Hobby

As if I needed another way to waste spend time, I have started doing Postal Art. This consists of decorating the envelope of the letters one mails through the US Postal Service. Yes, I still send letters by snail mail, as well as myriad others who form that long line at the post office every time I go to mail my letters. With so many customers standing in line waiting to spend their money, I am hard pressed to understand why the US Postal Service is always running in the red.
Anyway, I have had a lot of fun decorating envelopes. I do the art work mainly while watching the brainless entertainment that dominates television. (I do like NCIS, The Closer, and a few others) I decorated 52 Christmas and Hanukkah cards and had them all mailed before the respective holiday. I also decorated 40 invitations for each of the faculty and staff for my annual library "holiday munch and mingle." My wife, Chris, says it is going a bit too far when I decorate return envelopes before sending out my bills.
Here is the return envelope that I sent to Classical 89, KBYU-FM with my yearly contribution. The photos are blurry, I took them with my cell phone and I shake a lot, but one can get the basic idea. The student assigned to open the contribution letters probably threw it away with the uninteresting envelopes, but perhaps someone saved it as a curiosity.


I sent my "little" sister a card for her birthday:



Here are some more blurry photos:
   You get the idea.



1 comment:

rebekah said...

These are pretty awesome. And just plain pretty.