Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Beginnings or Old Habits?

2012 will be my banner year as I turn 65 in October. I don't plan on retiring for a few more years, but it is a milestone year none the less. One of those years where you look back on all the years before and see how different things turned out from what you planned or wanted or thought they would. Oh, well, I am sure the next 65 years will follow closer to the blueprint.

Someone remarked that many people look forward to the New Year to get a good start on old habits, so I have not made any of those pesky New Years Resolutions to break this year. I have set a goal to lose 65 pounds by my 65th birthday. That is only one and a half to two pounds a week; actually 1.625 pounds a week if my calculations are accurate. I have been doing Weight Watchers for Men on line for some time. I have not lost any weight, but I have maintained and not gained any more. I joined My Fitness Pal on line at the insistence of my daughter Rebekah, which is an entirely different system. Between the two systems, I may find what bits and pieces will work for me.

The Canyons District insurance department had a health contest over the holidays to encourage employees to maintain or lose weight over the long school break full of parties and fat food. They offered some nice prizes in a drawing for those who are successful. About 500 people, including me, weighed in at the beginning of the contest.  Tuesday and Wednesday were the final weigh in days. I mistook the dates and went on Monday to weigh in. I lost two pounds, yea!, so my name is in the hopper for the drawing; something I would like not to lose. As of Tuesday afternoon, only about a fifth of those who entered have gone in for a final weigh in.

I am going to try to take the Artists' Books II class at the University of Utah this spring semester. I will audit the class as a senior citizen like I did last year in the Artists' Books I class. It only cost 25 dollars a semester for old folks to audit university classes if there is room. I hope I will be able to get into the class. Book arts is growing in popularity and the classes fill up. I was only let into the class last year because I know both teachers and have some background with them. It turned out that about five students dropped the class anyway. That class was tough, and made me work harder and think deeper than I have had to do in a long time to get what little originality and creativity I have to come to the surface. I put my name on the waiting list for this year's class. Last fall I was not able to take the letterpress printing class because it was full, and they could only take a limited number. Even knowing the teacher did not help me then. Registered university students are first served which is only just and right. It worked out better for me anyway not to have the printing class when I wanted it. Maybe next year.

No comments: