Saturday, June 16, 2012

More (Mis) adventures in the Garden.

I took a couple of pictures of the flowers in the  front garden. The combination of snapdragons and larkspur I think is nice.


On Thursday I went out in the vegetable garden and found, as was afraid I would, that I had left the board in the irrigation box when I was irrigating the fruit trees at the back of the lot, and I discovered, as I was afraid I would, that the water had overflowed into the areas between the planted rows. The overflow had left a large area of mud in the corn rows and beans (which are still being devoured by invisible bugs). While attempting to step over a swath of mud, I twisted my right knee, the knee in which I have the most arthritic damage. The knee let out a snap, crackle, pop, and I let out a "Yeaow" in reaction to the ice pick jab of pain. I precariously regained my balance on the edge of the mud pit. After a few moments of deep breathing and pain induced vocalization like breathy, silly laughter, I hobbled laboriously into the house and immediately applied ice packs to the knee. Later that evening, I did a little watering in the front garden propped up with a cane in each hand and sitting often on the garden bench I have out by the sidewalk. (I put the bench there for passers-by to have a "sit and rest a spell" when walking through the neighborhood. No one has used it but me, but it is there to use if you happen to pass by.) The LDS missionaries walked by at that time and asked me again, as they do every time they see me, if I needed any service. I told them they could help me water the garden on Friday, to which they replied, "That sounds like FUN!". I proceeded to spend a miserable evening and night with a hot, swollen knee.

Early Friday morning, I called my doctor's clinic for an appointment. He was booked, so I was given an appointment with another doctor at the clinic. He turned out to be very young, but very with it. After turning, twisting and x-raying the knee, he concluded that I had not torn any ligaments but had damaged the meniscus and time would tell if it will heal on its own or need surgery. He gave me a packet of instructions, a list of exercises, and a prescription and wished me luck on my trip next week.

The missionaries came at one o'clock and watered the garden under my direction. They asked me how often I water. In this heat I water every other day. Immediately they said they would come back every other day to water for me, even when I am in California at the American Library Association conference. All summer if I want them to. "We love to give service." My daughter-in-law, Emery, came over in the evening and planted the last of the zinnias for me. I have had lots of service given to me because of my misadventure in the garden.

After a day of high powered ibuprofen and ice packs and walking as little as possible with two canes (easier than crutches), I spent a good night with no pain. This morning, Saturday, I have a little pain, but I am "resting" and icing and taking the prescribed anti-inflammatory. Well, my knee is aching again, so I think I will go take a nap before I head off to the Saturday evening session of stake conference where all I have to do is sit and listen.

No comments: