Sunday, June 10, 2012

Utah Scottish Festival


Spent about five hours yesterday at the Utah Scottish Festival and Highland Games. My daughter Emma, danced in the competitions. Though her ankle gave out on one of the dances, which caused a slight wabble at one point, I thought she was wonderful in the Highland Fling and Sword Dance. She didn't place in the top three of any of the dances. Sad, but she's a trooper. She does have boxes of trophies and medals for Irish and Scottish dancing already, but it is always nice to be rewarded for a fine performance, which I think she gave.



















Emma and life-long friend, Sarah Lindsey. before the competition.

Look at these flying feet!

The Highland Fling


The Sword Dance




This is one of the many booths at the festival. It was advertising the Colonial Festival in Orem during the 4th of July week. I didn't take any pictures of other booths because they were too crowded with celebratory people, and I was too far away from the pipe bands and other entertainment to take a good picture with my phone.

I renewed my membership in the Utah Scottish Association and put my name in for the kilt drawing, which I never win. Gale force winds started up in the afternoon and was filling the air, and my eyes, with dust. If the dance tent hadn't been ancored to huge cement blocks, the wind would have blown us all to Oz. Several clan booths were uprooted and scattered about, and many a kilt was flapping in the breeze. At least it wasn't pouring rain as in several of the past years.

No comments: