Thursday, June 6, 2024

Commit Acts of Art: Garden Wreaths

 "Not every act of art creates something special, but it creates something. It is the act of art that is important, not the result." Michael L. Goodman

My acts of art this week have been in the garden. When it is hot and I need a rest, I sit in the shade of the apricot tree and weave wreathes from Oregon grape vines that I trim from the fence. The vines try to escape from the fence and invade the edges of the garden. I pull up on the growth end of a vine, and all the nodes along the vine that have sent out roots pop out of the ground. A firm tug and the vine snaps off at the fence. I peel the leaves from the vines, but I don't remove the wiry root clusters because they add an interesting element to the wreaths. The wreaths start out as wobbly circles, but as more vines are woven in and out around the base, the circles become more regular. My woven heart is a bit lopsided, but it is just fine for my garden. I will hang wreaths on the wall of the garden shed.





"Everything is good for something" Italian Proverb


No comments: